Manchester United manager David Moyes has again insisted Wayne Rooney is not for sale after Chelsea said the England striker is their sole transfer target.
Speaking at a news conference in Sydney, the United boss said: “The club’s position has not changed.”
“ We are trying very hard to make some additions”
David Moyes Man Utd boss
Moyes is also keen to discover how the bid to lure Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas to United is progressing.
He said: “I’m in contact with our chief executive who is dealing with the issue and hope to know more in a day or so.”
Chelsea have already had one bid for Rooney rejected.
The 27-year-old has been left “angered and confused” by suggestions he is viewed as back-up to Robin Van Persie at United.
Blues boss Jose Mourinho has exploited the situation by issued a World Cup warning to players who are “second choice” at their club, a statement widely viewed as a message aimed at Rooney.
The striker was at United’s training complex on Thursday for ongoing treatment on his hamstring injury after flying home from the club’s pre-season tour.
Rooney’s Premier League goals
|2002-03: Six||2003-04: Nine||2004-05: 11|
|2005-06: 16||2006-07: 14||2007-08: 12|
|2008-09: 12||2009-10: 26||2010-11: 11|
|2011-12: 27||2012-13: 12||Total: 156|
Manchester United are currently in Australia preparing for a match against the A-League All Stars in Sydney on Saturday.
The Premier League champions have yet to make any summer signings, having missed out on Barcelona’s Thiago Alcantara, although they continue to be linked with Everton duo Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines.
United have had a formal offer for Fabregas rejected by Barcelona, but executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has left United’s pre-season tour to continue negotiations.
When asked what the latest position is, Moyes said: “I couldn’t tell you exactly, the chief executive [Woodward] is dealing with it. Hopefully we’ll know more in the next few days.
“We are trying very hard to make some additions. Hopefully there will be some good news in the not too distant future.”
- David Moyes: Wayne Rooney is staying at Manchester United – video (guardian.co.uk)
- David Moyes Firm Over Wayne Rooney’s Future (sportsnippets.com)
- Report: David Moyes bans talk of Wayne Rooney’s future (sportsmole.co.uk)
- Man U rejects bid from Chelsea for Wayne Rooney (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- Moyes repeats Rooney not for sale (bbc.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney still not for sale and David Moyes waits on Cesc Fabregas bid (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- Cesc Fabregas transfer: Man Utd confident of landing Barcelona star (thesun.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney better described as ‘arrogant and ignorant’ instead of ‘angry and confused’ (metro.co.uk)
- David Moyes insists Wayne Rooney is staying at Manchester United, despite growing Chelsea rumours (standard.co.uk)