NBA approves Charlotte Bobcats’ bid to become Hornets
The NBA Board of Governors has approved the Charlotte Bobcats’ application to change their name to the Hornets, the league announced Thursday.
The change will not take effect until the 2014-15 season, when the team will update its logo, jerseys and memorabilia to fit the switch. The move represents a return to the name that graced the jerseys of the city’s first NBA team from 1988 to 2002. The first Hornets moved to New Orleans for the 2002-03 season.
Under new owner Tom Benson, New Orleans has taken on the Pelicans moniker, which was first used at an official NBA event at this year’s draft lottery.
In 2003, Charlotte was awarded an expansion team to be run by television mogul Bob Johnson. He named the team after himself. Johnson sold his majority ownership stake to Michael Jordan in 2010.
The Bobcats have struggled on the court, compiling a 28-120 record over the past two seasons and failing to bring in fans. They haven’t come close to matching the popularity of the Hornets, who once sold out 364 consecutive home games.
Perhaps this is a move in the right direction, but Charlotte still has a long way to go to truly bring back the buzz. Jordan said as much when the plans for a name change were announced in May.
“Ultimately we still have to play the game at a high level, which is what the Hornets did for a long period of time,” Jordan said. “Changing the name does not guarantee that we’re going to be a playoff-contending team. We still have a lot of work to do to build that. I’m not walking away from that.”
- NBA approves Charlotte’s name change back to Hornets… starting next summer (probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Hornets to return to Charlotte in 2014-15 (oddonion.com)
- Welcome to Buzz City! The Charlotte Hornets Are Back! (thesportsbastards.com)
- Charlotte Bobcats campaign touts return of Hornets name (newsobserver.com)
- NBA approves Charlotte Bobcats’ plans to change name to ‘Hornets’ in 2014 (nba.si.com)
- Charlotte Bobcats to Officially Become the Hornets Again (slamonline.com)
- Charlotte Bobcats campaign touts return of Hornets name (charlotteobserver.com)
- NBA approves switch from Bobcats to Hornets (wdsu.com)
- Report: Bobcats name change to Charlotte Hornets to be approved by NBA owners (tracking.si.com)
- NBA owners OK Bobcats name change to Hornets (wcnc.com)
Posted on July 19, 2013, in Basketball and tagged Charlotte, Charlotte Bobcats, jordan, Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association, NBA, New Orleans, Tom Benson. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.