Carlos Beltran ponders Hall of Fame

St. Louis Cardinals star Carlos Beltran told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he hopes to play at least three more years after this season.

Beltran, 36, is in the final season of a two-year, $26 million contract with the Cardinals. Following several injury-plagued seasons with the New York Mets, Beltran has bounced back with consecutive All-Star appearances as a member of the Cardinals.

“I would say three more years, just to say a number,” Beltran told the Post-Dispatch. “This is my 15th [season]. If I could do [three more], that would be a good career for me.”

Beltran is batting .309 with 19 home runs and 53 RBIs this season. The switch-hitting outfielder had 32 homers and 97 RBIs in his first season with the Cardinals last year.

An eight-time All-Star, Beltran is a .283 career hitter with 353 homers, 1,296 RBIs and 308 stolen bases in parts of 16 seasons with five different teams. He admitted to the Post-Dispatch that he has recently pondered his Hall of Fame candidacy.

“Now that I have heard a lot about [the Hall of Fame], I do think about it,” he told the paper. “Let’s hope I can stay healthy for the remaining three — maybe three, four years.

“If I can stay healthy and play in the game to the level I’m playing right now, who knows, man? … I could be close.”

Advertisements

About chronicralph

A raging sports enthusiast.

Posted on July 19, 2013, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: