Walcott backs Arsenal to mount title challenge
Theo Walcott has challenged Arsenal to mount a title bid next season, whether or not Arsene Wenger manages to strengthen the squad this summer.
The Gunners have been linked with Real Madrid’s Gonzalo Higuain and Luis Suarez of Liverpool, while there are rumours that the club could attempt to convince Wayne Rooney to swap Old Trafford for the Emirates.
But Walcott is adamant that the existing squad proved itself good enough to challenge for the Premier League title in 2014 in the final weeks of the 2012-13 campaign.
“At the end of the season we were 10 games undefeated, and I think we need to start on a high,” Walcott told the press.
“Instead of challenging for the Champions League, we need to be challenging for the title this year – that’s my desire anyway, I’m sure everyone else is the same.
“If players come in it’s going to boost the whole team, but what we’ve got at the moment is good enough to win anything, I believe.
“We are ready for the challenge, everyone’s definitely committed.”
- Walcott backs Arsenal to mount title challenge (espn.co.uk)
- Arsenal in title race, says Walcott (guardian.co.uk)
- Theo Walcott wants a flying start for Arsenal (thesun.co.uk)
- Arsenal: Walcott sets sights on Premier League glory (clubcall.com)
- Theo Walcott demands quick start to Arsenal’s Premier League campaign (standard.co.uk)
- Theo Walcott relaxed about possibility of major competition arriving at Arsenal (mirror.co.uk)
- Walcott and Arteta Believe Arsenal can Challenge for Title (swol.co)
- Arsene Wenger targets ‘big signings’ after confirming Arsenal stay (metro.co.uk)
- Arsenal take on Real Madrid for Luis Wantaway Suarez subject of a £35m transfer war. (chronicralph.wordpress.com)