Chip Kelly‘s quest to improve the Philadelphia Eagles‘ offensive tackle position has him looking in surprising places. The Eagles‘ latest find: A 6-foot-8, 335-pound preseason All-American from little-known Stony Brook in New York.
The Eagles agreed to terms with Michael Bamiro on Tuesday. If you don’t know Bamiro’s story, don’t feel bad. He was a promising potential mid-round NFL prospect who learned in late May he had used up all his college eligibility due to confusion about NFL rules.)
Bamiro was not eligible for the NFL’s supplemental draft or he probably would have been selected there. Instead, he entertained other strong offers, according to Mike Garafolo of FoxSports.com. Twenty-two teams attended Bamiro’s pro day, with the Miami Dolphins reportedly staying in the mix until the end. Garafolo writes that Bamiro didn’t get much of a signing bonus, but a portion of his salaries were guaranteed for the next two years. That’s a sign that Bamiro could make the team.
Bamiro is a long shot to develop into a star, but reportedly he has a lot of raw skills to work with. The team’s No. 4 overall draft pick, Lane Johnson, didn’t start playing offensive line until 2011, so Kelly isn’t afraid to take a chance on a talented player.
- Eagles Add OT Michael Bamiro (philadelphiaeagles.com)
- Birds Sign A Monster. (thasportsjunkies101.wordpress.com)
- Michael Bamiro agrees to deal with Eagles (nj.com)
- Report: Eagles sign OT who bypassed NFL Draft (wdsu.com)
- Report: Colts Taking a Look at OT Prospect Michael Bamiro (naptownsfinest.com)
- Michael Bamiro set to sign with Eagles (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Philadelphia Eagles to sign Stony Brook OT Michael Bamiro (bleedinggreennation.com)
- Report: Eagles sign 6-8 Stony Brook OL prospect (cbssports.com)
- Report: Eagles sign OT who bypassed NFL Draft (wyff4.com)
- Seahawks on hand for OT Michael Bamiro’s ‘pro day’ workout (fieldgulls.com)