Respected golf psychologist Dr Bob Rotella has said that Tiger Woods is showing tell-tale signs of panic is his quest to secure a 15th major title.
Rotella, who is credited for the work he has done with leading players such as Darren Clarke and Padraig Harrington, said it was possible that Woods “is starting to be nagged by the question, in chasing all his dreams and ambitions, of: ‘What if I fall short?’ ”
Woods has been back to nearly his best form this season but when it has come to the majors he has failed to replicate this. “In the last bunch of majors he doesn’t appear to be in the same place,” Rotella said. “He probably has a greater concern, in terms of ‘When am I going to win one again?’
Referring to a botched bunker shot at the 2012 Open, Rotella said what would previously have been a routine stroke was messed up.
“You sensed that he got in the bunker and thought: ‘I’ve got to do something incredible’. That’s the first time you saw him panic, put pressure on himself a little, and try to force something. Given that he had been so patient throughout his career, that moment was very interesting,” he said.
Rotella also said that Rory McIlroy will not be in contention until he shows he has overcome a miserable few months since he switched to Nike clubs.
“When he finally gets his equipment to his liking he won’t have to think so much, then he can go back to being ‘unconscious’ with his long game,” Rotella added.
- Is Tiger Woods showing signs of panic? (espn.co.uk)
- Tiger Woods at the British Open: A Preview (guardianlv.com)
- Woods says elbow fine, no loss of confidence (sacbee.com)
- Will Ferrell Accepts ESPY As Tiger Woods (mulligang.com)
- Lindsey Vonn Took This Spectacular Photo Of Tiger Woods Today (businessinsider.com)
- The Open 2013: Tiger Woods is starting to show signs of panic, claims leading psychologist Dr Bob Rotella (telegraph.co.uk)
- The Open 2013: Tiger Woods leaps to Rory McIlroy’s defence (metro.co.uk)
- Tiger Woods tells Nick Faldo to get off Rory McIlroy’s back (thesun.co.uk)
- Tiger Woods insists Rory McIlroy will turn around his troubled form (guardian.co.uk)
- The Open 2013: Tom Watson savours Muirfield’s sweet torture (telegraph.co.uk)