AUBURN HILLS (CBS DETROIT) – The Detroit Pistons have long been expected to acquire a true point guard – someone with floor vision and an ability to run an offense.
Brandon Knight, who played the point in college and has played the spot for the Pistons, is generally thought to be better suited for a two-guard spot. Rodney Stuckey, the point guard heir apparent when Detroit traded Chauncey Billups in 2008, never panned out.
The Pistons could have drafted former Michigan point guard Trey Burke, but they did not. They could have traded for a point guard, but as yet, they have not.
Recent rumors have included Detroit inquiries into bringing in Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics or Brandon Jennings of the Milwaukee Bucks – and possibly jettisoning Knight.
“Bogus, bogus,” Dumars said. “I haven’t even talked to [Celtics general manager] Danny Ainge about what they were reporting, like Brandon [Knight]. That’s never happened, like never even a conversation about Brandon. Then today I think I saw one with Brandon Jennings.
“[Bucks general manager] John Hammond and I were on the phone talking about our dogs this weekend,” Dumars added, implying that was all the conversation encompassed. “We’ve both got dogs that are just alike.”
Dumars said he would be comfortable starting the season with the current roster but that further moves are always an option.
“Obviously the draft is behind us. Obviously free agency is somewhat behind us because we have 15 players now,” Dumars said. “The only thing left now is trade possibilities, and that door continues to be open.”
As far as whether the current roster can take the Pistons into the playoffs, Dumars is noncommittal.
“I don’t know,” Dumars said. “I know we can compete for it now. We’ve upgraded the talent, we’ve what we needed in terms of shooting, leadership, athleticism, so we feel like we’ve made the steps to get better.”
- Joe Dumars denies Brandon Knight-for-Rajon Rondo, Brandon Jennings trade talks (probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- With an Option Like Brandon Jennings, Detroit Pistons Can Afford to Wait on Rajon Rondo (thedetroitsportssite.com)
- Joe Dumars Regrets Trading Chauncey Billups (detroit.cbslocal.com)
- Detroit Pistons Still Chasing Rajon Rondo; Brandon Knight ‘Wouldn’t Be Nearly Enough’ (thedetroitsportssite.com)
- Why Brandon Jennings to Detroit Pistons Would Be Toxic Fit for Both Sides (bleacherreport.com)
- Dumars Denies Rondo, Jennings Trade Rumors (detroit.cbslocal.com)
- NBA trade rumors: Joe Dumars downplays Brandon Jennings, Rajon Rondo trade talk (sbnation.com)
- Rajon Rondo Trade Rumors: Latest on Pistons and More Interested in Celtics PG (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- Why Detroit Pistons Must Go All in on Potential Rajon Rondo Trade (bleacherreport.com)
- Detroit Pistons’ Joe Dumars Must Break Through With Another Big Trade Move This Summer (thedetroitsportssite.com)