According to Jorge Sierra of HoopsHype, the superstar point guard said he plans to be on the court for the season tipoff:
I should be able to play in the first game of season. I know I’m anxious right now to play. My health is everything right now, it’s 100 percent. But right now, the first game… I will definitely be playing it.
We will play in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil [October 12], the first NBA game ever in Rio, so that’s going to be a big game not only for the Bulls but for the NBA. Just some minutes out there, see how it feels just to be back on the court and enjoy the experience.
The 24-year-old Chicago native has selected an interesting date and location to make his debut. Instead of appearing on the hardwood at the United Center for the first time since tearing his ACL back on April 28, 2012, he will display his talents for a South American crowd at HSBC Arena.
That said, the Bulls are one of just a handful of teams handpicked by commissioner David Stern to represent the NBA in a foreign market. When it comes to the game’s long-term international prosperity, their contributions cannot be understated.
It seems that Rose, Adidas (his main sponsor) and the NBA agreed that coming back in time for the Rio de Janeiro contest would increase their exposure and build excitement across borders.
While some Bulls fans may be disappointed that the former MVP’s return is not taking place in Chicago, the important thing is that Rose stays healthy and makes an impact during the regular season.
- Rose Says He’ll be 100% Ready for The Season (Video) (atthebuzzzer.com)
- Derrick Rose says he will ‘definitely’ be ready for Bulls season opener (suntimes.com)
- Derrick Rose Reportedly Says He Is Healthy, Will Return for 2013 Season Opener (bleacherreport.com)
- Bulls’ Rose ‘100 percent,’ will play in opener (espn.go.com)
- Derrick Rose Says He ‘Will Definitely Be Playing’ in First Game of 2013-14 Season (nesn.com)
- Derrick Rose says he’s 100 percent (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- Derrick Rose Says He Will Play in Season Opener (slamonline.com)
- Derrick Rose will make his big comeback in Brazil. (thasportsjunkies101.wordpress.com)
- Derrick Rose: ‘I should be able to play in the first game of the season’ (tracking.si.com)
- Derrick Rose says he’s definitely playing in Bulls Season Opener (thesportsbank.net)