David Moyes: Wayne Rooney needed at Man Utd as cover for Robin van Persie
Rooney has been the focus of intense speculation regarding his United future ever since former boss Sir Alex Ferguson revealed the England international had handed in a transfer request in May.
But the new man at Old Trafford insists the 27-year-old forward’s flexibility remains an important asset for the club and so he is reluctant to let him leave.
“Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we’ll need him,” said Moyes.
“Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we’ll need him.”
He added: “Wayne can play up on his own, he can play dropped in. It’s going to be a time to see how I work with Wayne.
“Manchester United isn’t about Wayne Rooney. Manchester United is about the team – the club.
“I won’t allow Wayne Rooney to become more important than the football club and the football team, because that’s the heart of it.”
Rooney still has two years left on his deal at United and, as a result, Moyes does not feel under too much pressure to renew the contract or risk a cut-price sale.
“Maybe in a year’s time we might have to look at something else,” he added.
- Chelsea Transfer News: Wayne Rooney Must Move for His First-Team Future (bleacherreport.com)
- Wayne Rooney will not be offered an extension to his Manchester United deal (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- Wayne Rooney must prove he’s as good as Robin van Persie (thesun.co.uk)
- David Moyes: ‘Wayne Rooney needed as cover at Manchester United’ (sportsmole.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney relegated to bit-part striker role by Manchester United manager David Moyes (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- Wayne Rooney must play second fiddle to Robin van Persie, insists Manchester United boss David Moyes (metro.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney to be put on trial for 12 months as David Moyes admits RVP is his main man (mirror.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney: Why Fighting for His United Position Is the Motivation He Needs (bleacherreport.com)
- Manchester United: Wayne Rooney Is Facing a Losing Battle at Old Trafford (bleacherreport.com)
- Manchester United reveal they are prepared to let Wayne Rooney go on the cheap (metro.co.uk)
Posted on July 16, 2013, in Football and tagged Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, England, Manchester United FC, Old Trafford, Robin van Persie, Wayne, Wayne Rooney. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.