Rooney, who cut short his pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia by returning to England from Bangkok to undergo treatment on a hamstring injury last Thursday, has yet to speak publicly about his Manchester United future following claims by former manager Sir Alex Ferguson in May that he wants to leave the club.
However, with Chelsea and Arsenal both ready to battle it out to sign the 27-year-old should he declare an intention to leave Old Trafford, United manager David Moyes and chief executive Ed Woodward have both insisted that the player will not be sold and that negotiations over a contract extension will not take place within the next 12 months.
It is understood that Rooney’s dissatisfaction at having lost his role as first-choice striker to Van Persie last season is a central factor in him becoming unsettled at United.
With the Dutch forward scoring 30 goals in all competitions for United following his £22 million arrival from Arsenal last August, Rooney found himself deployed in a series of deeper-lying positions by Ferguson last season before being demoted to the substitutes bench for key games in the closing stages of the campaign.
Moyes has made it clear to Rooney that Van Persie will continue to play as the team’s centre-forward, however, and the Scot has raised fresh doubt over the England forward’s role by admitting that he regards Shinji Kagawa’s best position as the No 10, in the space between Van Persie and the midfield.
- Wayne Rooney relegated to bit-part striker role by Manchester United manager David Moyes (telegraph.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney will not be offered an extension to his Manchester United deal (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- Wayne Rooney: Why Fighting for His United Position Is the Motivation He Needs (bleacherreport.com)
- Chelsea Transfer News: Wayne Rooney Must Move for His First-Team Future (bleacherreport.com)
- ‘I’ll need Rooney if RVP is not fit’ (iol.co.za)
- David Moyes: ‘Wayne Rooney needed as cover at Manchester United’ (sportsmole.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney to be put on trial for 12 months as David Moyes admits RVP is his main man (mirror.co.uk)
- Manchester United are ready to splurge on a world class player (chronicralph.wordpress.com)
- David Moyes: I’ll get best out of Wayne Rooney (thesun.co.uk)
- Wayne Rooney must play second fiddle to Robin van Persie, insists Manchester United boss David Moyes (metro.co.uk)