United’s offer is being considered but is understood to be below the Spanish club’s valuation of the player.
While Fabregas is not pushing for a move, it is believed he is open to a return to England.
The 26-year-old will be guided by whether Barcelona are prepared to accept an offer for him.
Fabregas came through the Spanish club’s La Masia academy before Arsenal signed him as a 16-year-old in 2003.
He developed as one of the London club’s key players under manager Arsene Wenger before becoming Arsenal captain in November 2008.
The Spain international spent eight years with the Gunners, playing 303 games and scoring 57 goals.
However, he returned to the Nou Camp when he signed a five-year deal with Barcelona in a £25.4m move in August 2011.
He has since helped the Catalan club win the Copa del Rey in 2011-12 and La Liga in 2012-13.
Fabregas has played 96 times in two seasons with Barcelona, including 60 league games, but has rarely featured in his preferred midfield role, with Xavi, 33, and Andres Iniesta, 29, ahead of him.
Fabregas has made 83 appearances for Spain, winning the 2010 World Cup and the European Championship twice.
- Manchester United make 30m euros bid for Fabregas (manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
- United make €30m bid for Fabregas (iol.co.za)
- Manchester United offer £26million for Barcelona star Cesc Fabregas (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Manchester United make €30m move for former Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas (talksport.co.uk)
- Manchester United lodge £26m bid with Barcelona for Cesc Fabregas after missing out on Thiago Alcantara (metro.co.uk)
- Fabregas Considering His Future As Arsenal Prepare To Activate £25m Buy-Back Clause (football-talk.co.uk)
- Cesc Fabregas transfer: Manchester United in shock £26million bid (thesun.co.uk)
- Manchester United to make $53 million offer for Cesc Fabregas (prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com)
- United Step Up Fabregas Pursuit But Arsenal In Pole Position Due To £25m Clause (football-talk.co.uk)
- Manchester United bid for Fabregas (timesofmalta.com)